Benefits of Staying Active and Exercising During the Holiday Season
With all the excitement and merry making surrounding the holiday season, you might be tempted to forego your fitness routine for the time being. However, it is even more important for you to stay active and fit during the holiday season.
- Eases Arthritic Pain Flare-ups: Most people tend to experience a worsening of joint aches and pains in cold weather. Exercise reduces joint pain and stiffness while improving flexibility and strength. Try activities that can be performed indoors such as using the treadmill, yoga, going to the gym, or swimming indoors.
- Keeps you in Shape: You may overindulge during the holiday season and gain unwanted weight. Staying active helps you burn on excess calories and maintain a healthy body weight. This is good news for your weightbearing joints.
- Stress Buster: The holiday season brings tiding of peace and joy, but there is also a lot of stress involved as well when you consider all the financial pressures of a consumeristic society and potential eruptions of old grievances during family get-togethers. Exercise helps you fight depression and stress as the hormones generated during exercises and physical activities improve your mood and reduce anxiety.
- Controls Blood Pressure: Exercise improves blood circulation and strengthens your heart. Simple exercises such as a 30-minute walk every day during the holiday season reduces your risk of succumbing to the Merry Christmas Coronary or the Happy New Year Heart Attack!
- Head Start for a Healthy New Year: Why wait until January to make health resolutions? Use the time off from work during holiday season to gradually ease into a healthy lifestyle with plenty of exercise and healthy eating. By the time January 2019 comes around, you are already halfway to reaching your fitness goals.
Considering the numerous benefits associated with exercise and an active lifestyle, the cold weather or the holiday spirit should not deter you from exercising. Have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season!
Dr. Ronak Patel is a Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon offering a full range of care for all problems of the knee and shoulder with a special interest in complex knee disorders. For all appointments and inquiries, please call (630) 920-2350