If an elective orthopedic surgery as been recommended for you, the holiday season might be the perfect time for it. Sure, you might miss out on some holiday get-togethers and activities as a result of this decision, but there’s a lot to gain from having surgery during this time.
Here’s a break down on the benefits of having surgery over the holidays:
- It’s easier to take time off from work during this season: The year end is when business is slow in most industries. Your absence from work is less likely to bring down productivity or put pressure on your co-workers.
- Less out-of-pocket expense: You probably have met your insurance deductible by this time, which means you may not have to spend as much out of pocket for the surgery. Now it the right time to use your accumulated annual sick leave for surgery.
- Ideal time for staying indoors: The winter is best time to stay indoors and curl up next to a warm fireplace with a good movie or book. That’s also what is good for your recovery after orthopedic surgery.
- You can be discreet about the surgery: Most people are out of the office and go on vacations during this season. If you would rather not have too many people know about your surgery, this may be the best time for it.
- Extra support from your loved ones: After a major orthopedic surgery, it’s always a good idea to have someone to help at home with routine activities of daily living for the first few days. Scheduling surgery during the holiday season means you are likely to get that support from your family or friends.
Dr. Ronak Patel is a Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon offering a full range of care for all problems of the knee and shoulder with a special interest in complex knee disorders. He treats all sports injuries with a particular interest in anatomic ACL reconstruction, cartilage restoration, and patellar stabilization of the knee enabling optimal performance and allowing athletes to return to their preinjury activity and sports. Book your appointment with Dr. Patel today: (630) 929-2249.