Knee injuries are very common in basketball due to the repetitive jumping as well as the twisting and cutting movements that are an essential part of the sport.
The different types of knee injuries include:
- Jumper’s knee (patellar tendonitis): It is the inflammation of the tendon that connects your kneecap to your shinbone. Pain is experienced in the front of the knee just below the kneecap. If not treated promptly, the condition could worsen resulting in rupture of the patellar tendon.
- ACL tear: It is a very common traumatic injury in athletes, particularly basketball players. The ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) can be injured when making quick changes in direction or landing incorrectly from a jump.
- PCL tear: The PCL (posterior cruciate ligament) which runs along the back of the knee and connects the shinbone to the thighbone. It may be injured by a direct blow to the front of the knee or from falling on a flexed (bent) knee.
- Meniscal tear: The meniscus is the cartilage the lies between the shinbone and the thighbone. It acts as a shock absorber for the joint. The meniscus can be injured by a traumatic twisting movement of the joint.
- Kneecap bursitis: A bursa is a fluid-filled sac that lubricates the joint and provides shock absorption. The bursa can become inflamed due to trauma to the knee while playing basketball resulting in swelling and pain in the joint.
Knee injuries while playing basketball can be prevented to a great extent by strengthening the muscles that surround and support the joint, a proper warm-up before the game, and light stretching after the game to reduce muscle soreness as well as aid in recovery.
Minor injuries such as sprains and strains of the knee may be treated conservatively with rest, pain medications, icing, and pain injections or PRP injections to stimulate regeneration of tissue. In case conservative treatments fail, minimally invasive surgical techniques may be necessary to get you back in the game with minimal delay. Consult Dr. Ronak Patel for accurate diagnosis and personalized treatment recommendation.
Dr. Ronak Patel is a Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon offering a full range of care for all problems of the knee and shoulder with a special interest in complex knee disorders. Book your appointment with Dr. Patel today: (630) 929-2249.